Tuesday, August 28, 2018

I stayed at this motel Sunday evening after visiting part of the Redwoods.

It is a really nice place for bikers. He provides a nice area for grilling.

I think you could steal a few herbs if you needed them.


I like being able to park in front of my room. Motel is in the town of Rio Del.

Gary knows Sherm

I pulled into a elk viewing area but saw these instead of elk.

I picked a few and it took me back to when I was a little 4 year old boy and would take a coffee can out at my grandma's farm and pick blackberries until it was full. I'd bring them back to her and she would fill a cereal bowl, skim the cream from a freshly milked cow and pour it on the berries. Then she would sprinkle about two tablespoons of sugar on top. That four year old boy was in heaven!

Afterwards I'd say "gramma, can you fix my owee?"

The only elk I saw at the viewing area.

Nearing the northern end of the Redwoods climate zone, other species are taking over the landscape. Notice the difference in the height of a Douglas fir compared to a redwood.

Today I completed my goal of riding through the last of the three remaining drive through trees.

I hadn't seen Paul and Babe since I was last here with my granddaughter Patience, so I stopped to just say hi. HI

I was thinking this would be the last time I see the ocean on this trip......

.....but I will again when I see my son and his wife and their new house.

In a few minutes I will be out of the redwoods so one last picture.

It's hard to get the whole tree in the pic.

With all of the shade that they cast, the ferns below are really healthy.

I parked my bike at the base of this one just to show how enormous they are!

I stopped in Grants Pass for a couple of chili rellenos 

There have been fires everywhere up here, but they are finally getting them under control

The equipment if finally getting a rest.

Some of the scorched area along the Rouge River



I met up with my cousin Larry and had a great visit. We decided we were only about 8 and 10 years old the last time we saw each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment